Saturday, July 10, 2010

Color trends - wedding dresses

I don't know that this is actually a trend, but I'm hoping:

Because I get so bored with wedding dresses. What would you call that color, sort of a pale taupe? It seems a little more grayed-out to me than a pure sand color. Anyway, whatever it is, I like it. Plus look, it has sleeves, even if they're only little bitty things. Honestly, have you seen anybody wear a wedding dress with sleeves in the last decade? I can't think of any, although admittedly I don't go to all that many weddings.

(From the Purse Blog - who doesn't seem to stay with the subject of purses with much more consistency than I stay with beads!)

Maybe I feel so strongly about this because I had a not-so-secret yen for a wedding dress that wasn't white or off-white: the color I had in mind at the time was very pale blush pink. But this was in 1987, and there was no internet, and you just couldn't find anything but white or off-white that still looked like a formal wedding dress. I was traditional enough to want a fancy wedding dress but untraditional enough to think about varying the color, at least. And short of dyeing the fabric myself, or something (which was also pretty unheard of back then), it just wasn't to be had. (Actually a year or two later, the very pale pastel dresses started turning up in wedding magazines, you would know. Just a little too late for me!)

3 comments:

Cathryn said...

I agree with you--wedding dresses are boring mostly. My best friend made mine and I decided I wanted the color of the morning sky before dawn broke--that pearly grey color where the light is just starting to send sparkles out across the land. We found that color in a grey crepe and she made it for me!

1987 is the year my son was born. :D

Deb C said...

I have to admit that I love white, but color can be very interesting. I had a hard time finding a dress that was anything but strapless, and totally wish that sleeves would be in style again, too! I honestly don't know what ladies find so appealing about strapless dresses - I do not look good in them, and I like the security of having a strap or sleeve on the dress.

Mel C said...

Oh, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with white except that it's overdone - I just get tired of seeing exactly the same thing over and over!