Saturday, July 17, 2010

New books #2: Custom Cool Jewelry

I think I've linked to this book once before, but that was when I had been perusing it in Barnes & Noble, and I actually own it now.

Custom Cool Jewelry: Create 200+ Personalized Pendants, Charms, and ClaspsThis book is about two years old now, and I suspect that a lot of the mixed-media type of ideas in it have gotten much more mainstream during that time - heck, this book may be the reason I've seen a lot of these ideas around in various guises. I'm glad I got it, but I really can't think of too much else to say about it than that I like it, and it's probably worth getting, if you don't already have it, because it's packed so full of ideas.

(Are you noticing a pattern here? I'm a terrible reviewer, that's the pattern. If I hate something, then I have no trouble ranting about it, but I often have trouble figuring out how to express admiration for the books or movies I really like!)


Aside: this isn't where I bought this book, but but while I'm on bookish subjects, I also have a bit of a recommendation about a good bargain for people who buy a lot of books: BOMC2. I think a lot of people shy away from book clubs, but this is a gigantic improvement over the old-school book clubs. It doesn't do away with automatic shipments; what it does is let you choose what's shipped. What happens is that you make a list of books off of their website, sort of like a wishlist -- or a Netflix queue, only you're buying rather than renting. Once a month, they send you the top book off the list, and what makes it great is that the price for these books is only $9.95 including shipping. That's almost always cheaper than Amazon's price, and far cheaper than the list price. They don't have a gigantic selection like Amazon, of course, but I have been using it for quite a few months now and I have not yet come near running out of things that I want.

Bonus Twilight themed links, because I can't seem to stop once I started: Cleolinda, who I was talking about the other day, did a post that talks about some Twilight jewelry (among other subjects - if you're in a hurry, just scroll down til you see pictures of rings). She also links to this ring, which I really like a lot. -- Well, you know, if I wore rings, which I mostly don't. But still, that doesn't stop me from liking it and it certainly doesn't stop me from linking it. (While I'm at it, I will probably favorite some more Twilight-y stuff on Etsy, if I see something else I like. So check the sidebar.)

No comments: